So you have decided to put your aircraft for sale. If you are planning on doing this alone, without a broker, here are some tips you should know.
1. Get all your aircraft documents in order and organized. This way, you can use them to put as much information into your aircraft listing as possible. Also, many websites will allow you to include copies of your documents with your aircraft for sale listing. This is a great feature that allows users (buyers) to spend more time looking at your aircraft, leading them to more interest.
2. Make sure all inspections and ADs are up to date. If there are any minor repairs that can be made, you should consider getting them done now so that your aircraft is in great condition. If a buyer sees a lot of little issues, they may assume that there are larger issues or give you a low-ball offer. You want the buyer to see that you take excellent care of your aircraft.
3. Get your airplane detailed. A nice wax job can do wonders for making a dull paint job look better. Make sure the headliner and floor carpet are free of stains and that the seats are in good condition.
4. On a nice day, choose a good background and put your aircraft in front of it. Take a lot of pictures with multiple angles. Get creative! You’ll want to take around 20 photos so that you can take the top ones for your online aircraft listing. Make sure you take pictures of any cosmetic issues that you won’t be taking care of. Being up front about any of these things will show buyers that you are an honest seller.
5. Choose which sites you plan on listing your aircraft for sale on. To do this, go to a search engine (like Google, Yahoo, or Bing) and type in some broad terms people would use to search for aircraft. Terms like “Aircraft For Sale,” “Used Aircraft,” and “Used Airplanes” are a few of the most popular. Check out the top sites that come up on your search engine. These will most likely be the biggest classified ad sites for aircraft and will generate the most traffic. Go to each of these sites and see what features they offer. Does it seem user friendly and easy to navigate? Make sure that if you were a buyer, that you would like the site.
6. Once you register as a seller on one or more of these sites, you can go ahead and list your airplane. List as much detail as possible, your best pictures, and upload your documents. Make sure to include your contact information and be ready to take the calls!
Best of Luck!
- What are the most popular aircraft for sale online?
- Why you should use the compare feature on aircraft for sale websites
- How a Flight Instructor can help their student pick the best used aircraft
- What To Include In Your Classified-Ad When Listing Your Aircraft For Sale
- Is de-icing and/or anti-icing important in your next used aircraft purchase?